Thursday, February 17, 2011

February?! Where's the time gone?!

Ok, it has to be said that I can NOT believe that I've not blogged since November. So, I'll give a short update from November-February :)

We spent the holidays here in San Jose and it was definitely a different experience. Usually, it's all hustle and bustle, running around to make sure we can spend time with everyone. But with just the two of us, we didn't have that this year. And I have mixed feelings about it. I missed my family very much over the hoildays, but valued the time Pete and I got to spend together. I'm thinking that if we can't be with family next year, maybe we should take a little trip over the holidays, to add a little excitement. We'll see.

My job also took a new spin on me. I was told when I went back to WV in the beginning of November, that that would be my last trip to that office for work. Talk about panic! So, I worked feverishly on cleaning out my apartment, painting, etc. And I just got the itemized list of deductions my apartment complex would need to make from my security deposit. So, I paid $605 for the initial deposit, $35 for the washer/dryer deposit, $350 for the cat deposit and $50 for the utilities deposit, to total $1040. Yes, folks, I paid over $1000 in deposits to CZS Development! After living there for about 3 years, there was normal wear and tear on the carpet. It was actually really cheap carpet and looked like crap when I moved out. But, again, it was cheap carpet. Other than that, there were no major issues with anything and guess how much I'm set to get back? $70!! When I called to argue about the deductions they were making, I was basically told 'Take it or leave it.' They hadn't included the $350 for my cat deposit, and when I asked I was told that that was a nonrefundable charge that I paid for the priveledge of having a cat. BULLSHIT! Sorry, but it is. I also spent a good deal of time painting the apartment and they are charging me $350 to re-paint stating that I did a crappy job. Awesome, right? Word to the wise, do NOT sign a lease with CZS Development unless you are only planning to stay there for a year or less and have a deposit that you don't care to get back.

Moving on! Now that all of my stuff has been shipped out to our house in CA, we've been working gradually on getting things situated. And let me tell ya, it could take years to get everything situated.

I keep telling myself that it'll be easier after the wedding is over. We can actually save money and have it stay in the savings account. At this point, I'm saving money to pay for our wedding stuff. Which, is a pretty cool thing actually. I'm proud that I can do that. But constantly worrying about money and obsessing over the price of ground meat or coffee as far as our budget is concerned isn't fun.

There's no doubt that this year has been and will continue to be challenging. Our first full year of living together again, after a few years living separately + moving across the country from our friends and families + planning and paying for a wedding + buying and moving into a new house (new to us anyway :)) = a fair amount of stress for a couple to deal with. Luckily I think we're doing just fine :).

I will definitely try not to get so distracted and keep blogging as we get closer to the Big Day :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment