Monday, June 21, 2010

Fairly Frazzled

Week one is done! Not that I really wanted to get week one over with, I just thought that sounded fun to say :). Anyway, I've been in sunny, Sunnyvale, California for a week now and things are going very well, all things considered!

It was definitely an adjustment working from home, but I'm loving every minute of it. Don't get me wrong, I love being around my coworkers and I miss that. It gets pretty isolated here. I may not talk to anyone but Pete in a normal day. But we're getting along great and enjoying our time together.

Today, I bit the bullet and purchased us some furniture. After a week of watching movies sitting or laying on the floor, I know for certain, I'm too old for that. So, I bought two bean bag chairs. Lightweight and easy to throw around, I thought they'd be perfect. A little college-dorm-roomy, yes, but hey, my butt won't be screaming at me to get off the floor, so judge not!

Pete and I met with a realtor last week and were pretty encouraged by our discussion. She gave us a few preliminary listings to check out and advised us to get out and explore some neighborhoods over the weekend, which we did. We actually ended up stumbling upon two open houses so we took a peek and fell in love with one of them. NO, don't worry, Mom, we didn't make any offers or write any checks for the first house we loved. We were calm and started weighing out pros and cons. I've added another page to my blog, so you can follow the Househunting Adventures of Carrie and Pete, up close and in detail! I'll even be posting pictures! And, I believe you can click the 'Househunting' link at the top of my blog to get there!

So, like I said, it's been a pretty good week. The kitties have 'seemingly' adjusted pretty well. Paris hasn't been in her drawer in a couple of days. They even seemed to be using the new, automatic litterbox I got them. Which leads me to my next entertaining (for you) story...


WARNING: THE NEXT PORTION OF THE SHOW MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SENSITIVE READERS.

This next part of my entry for this week is about my two, furry, Princess-Diva cats and their new litterbox. Please stop reading if you think you might be sensitive to litter-related subjects.

I ordered a Scoop Free litterbox from Petco before we even left Fairmont. Pete's highly allergic to litter and cats, really, but he's building up a tolerance. Anyway, I wanted something that would be very little maintenance for him while I'm back in Fairmont for work. I was so excited and anxious to get it all set it up. I went ahead and took the old litterbox away and the cats checked things out a bit. When I noticed they hadn't used it after several hours and they were both pacing around looking longingly at my purses, Pete's shoes and any boxes we had laying around, I scrambled to get the old litterbox out! I mean seriously, I'd be PISSED (the pun is definitely intended!) if I caught one of them taking a leak in the new, Coach messenger bag Pete got me for Christmas.

So, at the advice of my older, wiser (aka wise-ass), sister, I put the old litterbox back in the bathroom with the new one so they could get used to the new one without feeling threatened. She scolded me a little and said I'd already put them through enough with the move. Let them have their old litterbox! So, I did. And slowly, they started getting more comfortable with everything. They weren't hiding as much and they'd sniff out their new 'potty' a bit. So, I thought I'd try again and I took the old litterbox out. Nikki was A-ok. She just started using the new one like everything was fine. But then when she figured out I'd put the old one in the spare bedroom closet, she OPENED THE CLOSET DOOR and I found her in there crapping in a CLEAN, empty litter box!! Yes, folks, my cat opened the closet door without thumbs. I'll let that sink in a minute...

Anyway, after that drama, Nikki went back to normal with the new 'potty'. And Pete said he'd seen Paris in there too, so I thought we were home free. Until this morning.

Paris had her 'Man, I gotta pee' face on. She was pacing around and I took her and showed her the new box. I didn't think much of it since Pete had seen her use it. Then I saw her scratching the floor around one of our boxes. I checked it out to find that she had pissed all over and inside the box with our Nintendo Wii games, remotes, accessories, etc.!!!

Now, about 5 hours later, I'm finally calmed down. Pete called shortly after this little event and raced home to stop me from dangling Paris off the balcony. He was actually way calmer than I was, even though the Wii has been his favorite thing since I got it for him last Christmas. He told me that everything in the box could be replaced, but Paris could not be. I thought for sure we'd both be evicted, but I'm not going to argue with him. I mean, there's really no other cat in the world like Paris. Even as difficult and prissy as she is, she makes GREAT material for funny stories :). So, after cleaning everything with Lysol and cleaning out the remotes and accessories with Q-tips, I feel like locking the Violator in the bathroom until she makes 'nice' with the new litter box. But, if anyone out there has any advice about this subject, please comment or email me. I'm thinking about taking off one of her toes for every item I had to clean off today. Please help me save Paris's toes.

To close, I want to thank everyone for their encouragement during this time of change. Everyone has been so great sending me notes on Facebook and commenting on my blog. I love doing this and will continue as long as people are reading. Like I said earlier, I'm going to be expanding this blog to include our House Hunting stories and also a page for Wedding planning. I haven't added that one because I want to talk with my family about some of our ideas before publishing everything to the internet :). Take a look at the pics I posted of the first house we toured and loved!

As Always,
Easily Distracted

No comments:

Post a Comment