Monday, May 10, 2010

Rainy days and Mondays

Welp, it may as well be said that I was not productive and happy as I planned to be over the weekend. Saturday was cold and rainy and I sort of endulged in a little wallowing. I went out to get my mom's Mother's Day gift, came home and laid around most of the day. I wasn't really sad. Just lonely and blah. You know, the kind of blah that makes you not want to do anything. So I didn't.

I did, on the brighter side, get some nice visiting in with my family for Mother's Day. And while the sun is out and today is bright and shiny, I can't bring myself to reflect that.

This morning I was greeted by the disgusting aroma of cigarette smoke. I mean, SERIOUS stench! Not just the smell when someone comes in your house and lights up a smoke before they realize you don't want them to smoke inside. I'm talking about the smell of a thousand cigarettes that are sill smoldering in the ashtray after a night of binge drinking with a dozen other smokers. Not that I've ever personally experienced heavy drinking or smoking (wink, wink) but that's what I'd imagine when I opened my eyes and took a deep breath this morning. My entire apartment smelled like an old ashtray. Why, you ask? Because I have a new downstairs neighbor who must smoke much more than the average smoker. Not that I have anything against smokers; I used to be one. I just didn't smoke in any enclosed spaces as I didn't want to be totally surrounded by the smoky smell. I met one of my new neighbors yesterday and he seems like a very nice man. I could smell the smoke just talking with him, but who am I to judge? If I still smoked, I'd probably not like it very much if someone told me I couldn't do it in my apartment. But I'm not sure what to do about the smell in MY apartment. I really don't want my things to smell like cigarette smoke. But I also don't want to cause trouble with my new neighbor. This was definitely not the sort of dilemma I wanted to be met with on a Monday morning.

This evening, when I got home, the smell was even worse, so I broke down and called the complex office to ask if these apartments are smoking or non-smoking. I didn't mention anyone in particular I just asked the question and found out that smoking is allowed and other than getting an allergen filter I'm pretty much stuck. So I lit a bunch of candles and will hope for the best.

I did, after my weekend of lonely wallowing, manage to force myself to get in a short workout tonight. And as I knew I would, I feel so much better. So my goal for this week is to do that workout every evening after work.

Now... How the HELL am I going to stop the crazy smoking men who live downstairs from ruining my stuff with their cigarette smoke?! I'm really at a loss. It's coming through the floor, I think! Please, if anyone has any helpful suggestions, please leave me a comment.


As Always,

Easily Distracted




No comments:

Post a Comment